Monday, August 25, 2008

1st Day of School

The alarm sounded its annoying beeping as I rubbed my tired eyes. There was an excited feeling yet nervous feeling in the pit of my stomach. As I rolled out of bed and proceeded to get dressed and ready, the nervous feeling accelerated. I was happy that I was going to actually get things done around the house while the kids were gone, but sad at the thought that Spongebob Squarepants was not going to be the constant background noise of the house. I started the breakfast sausage and popped the biscuits in the oven on my way to the dark sleepy part of the house. The kids were snoozing and dreaming of their first day of school. As I tried to wake the kids, they rolled over and went back to dreamland. They had a hard time rolling out of bed and immediately getting dressed, but they did it beautifully. Leslie fussed a little bit, but Nolan wanted to show Leslie the normal morning routine. This was Leslie's first time to actually have to get up and get ready for school. She started Preschool today and will continue to go every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Tuesday and Thursdays might pose a problem, we'll see. The children brushed their teeth and hair and dressed in their new clothes. A twinkle was in each eye as they put on their new clothes and backpacks. It was exciting. We took each of their pictures in front of the house. It was a quiet ride to the school, the nervousness was strong. Then adrenaline kicked in as we rounded the drive to the school and tons of people were everywhere. We walked Nolan to his First Grade classroom and placed his lunch box in his locker. All of his friends were already present so he felt somewhat at home. However you could feel his sadness as I hugged and kissed him bye. I know he will have fun and learn a lot. His teacher seems very nice and calm with a lot of patience. We drove Leslie to school next which was just down the street. She walked in with a ton of confidence. She placed her backpack on the hook told us bye and walked in her classroom. She chose not to hug me good bye and I think that was best, because i think she would have had a hard time letting go. I would too. sniff sniff sniff. So the kids are gone and the house is spotless and I can hear a pin drop. It is nice, but ........... Oh it is already almost time to go get Leslie. She gets out at 12:00. Woohooo. We'll see how tomorrow goes.






2 comments:

C.Thompson said...

Oh my goodness!! 1st grade already and Leslie in Pre-K!!! My, my how fast time flies by!! The kids looked adorable on their 1st day. I'm so happy everything went off without any problems. I showed K&K their pics and told them that Nolan and Leslie had their 1st days of school today and they both asked me when they could go to school like Nolan and Leslie. Kaden totally digs Nolan's desk. Can't wait to see you next post on how their 1st day went.

Christie said...

How fun! First day of school... So, who's Nolan's teacher???