Friday, May 23, 2008

Ice Cream in a Bag?!

I volunteered in Nolan's kindergarten classroom today and learned so many new things! Ms. Ripley is just an awesome teacher and we were so incredibly blessed to have her this year. I only hope and pray that we are that lucky next year. I enjoyed this morning so much that she even made me want to teacher kindergarten again. Whoa! At that age you get away with doing so many fun activities and the smallest, simplest ones are the most enjoyed by the kids. In other words, it does not take much to impress them. Well, first we made bubble bottles. This just consisted of pouring water, dish soap and food coloring into a clear water bottle. The kids shake them to form bubbles. They love it! We then did an ocean bottle that consisted of water, oil, and food coloring. The kids get to witness the water separating from the oil! That was a lot of fun; but what "took the cake" was making the ice cream in a bag. I could not believe they were going to make ice cream in a Ziploc, so YES that was another reason I chose today to volunteer! Hee hee. I had to see and taste it myself. WOW! You mommies at home have got to try this recipe this summer. We will definitely do it again with Leslie. You just mix 1 cup of milk, 1 teaspoon of vanilla, and 2 tablespoons of sugar in a small sandwich size baggie and seal tightly. Then place that baggie in a larger bag that is filled with ice and about 1/4 cup salt. It does not even have to be rock salt. The kids just mix it around and play with the bag while the mixture hardens into an ice cream consistency. YUMMY! I got to eat Nolan's because he is not a big ice cream fan like I am. There was water everywhere in the classroom and the kids had a blast. I love it! YOU GO MS. RIPLEY!

2 comments:

Krazy Kazy Kay said...

WOW! I am so impressed with this idea of ice cream in a baggie. We will try it here over the holiday. What I am most excited about, is that you are wanting to teach again. I love it! You know I will help any way I can with my precious Leslie.

Mommyto3K's said...

That sounds yummy and fun. I thought about getting an ice cream maker today. That should be a fun way to pass the time!!!